Saturday, 22 November 2014

Clearing my inbox clutter

My inbox has been annoying me of late with the number of unread emails the majority of which are promotional. We've all done it, I'm sure: signed up for a store discount, purchased online, subscribed to the new service or created an account and forgot to uncheck the "send me other crap several times a day" box. Granted there are times I've been so engrossed in a particular thing that I've wanted those emails but now they're just part of my digital clutter.

This week I've implemented the unsubscribe mantra. I force myself to open the emails as they come in, scroll to the bottom and click that unsubscribe link. It will take a few weeks for me to reap the rewards of this but really, I think the 30 seconds I'm spending on each one will save me so much time later. It's also good for my mental wellbeing and may even save my credit card a bit of use. Yes, NZSale and TreatMe were among the culled.

There are some that I want to keep: my daily drool over the heavily discounted refurb computers from Laptopbattery.co.nz, for example are still welcome but at least I've made that conscious choice. 

Go on - you know you're being a little lazy right? A few ask you to complete a short survey but most of these unsubscribes are pretty painless. Your inbox will thank you for it and your days will start a little lighter.

As a side note, a growing number of countries have anti-spam legislation. Check out Wikipedia for what applies to yours. Email spam legislation by country

And in New Zealand, we have an anti-spam unit to whom you can report email and txt spam. Anti-Spam - dia.govt.nz

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home